This is an exceptional time that we are undergoing during the lockdown period of 2020. I need not explain the emotions that I know we are all feeling, but I will let you know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Before the lockdown I noticed a sharp increase in the number of temporary workers needed and I think this trend will continue after the lockdown as a lot of essential services will need extra help. For those who have lost their jobs this may offer some relief.
I also believe that some of the essential services who are providing the nation with sanitizing staff or products will be booming during this time.
As always, sectors such as finance, supply chain, medical, IT and manufacturing will still be popular with available vacancies. Try to focus your job search in those sectors.
There is some good to this lockdown:
- As a recruiter I often receive poorly made CVs and now you will have plenty time to improve your cv and spruce it up if it needs some help. I recommend www.canva.com as a free platform with many CV templates
- Now is the best time to upskill. There are many free online courses being offered – just Google it!
- Right now, there are so many free webinars on offer. Make use of them.
- Use this time to learn more about yourself and your strengths and weaknesses by doing a personality profile.
- Connect with your friends and family, you may never get this opportunity again
- Build up your social media network, especially your Linkedin profile. Connect with as many people in your industry as possible.
- Learn how to use Zoom as going forward, many employers will be conducting their interview via this technology and you want to be unflustered when using it.
I suggest that during this time you register your CV on as many job portals as possible, just to have it easily accessible for hiring manager and recruiters. Make sure your LinkedIn is up to date! We always use LinkedIn for recruiting.
Stay strong and remember that things will get better!